- About Us
- Gluten Free
2½ cups (220g) einkorn flour
2 sticks (227g) butter
1 tsp (8g) sea salt
¼ cup (59g) ice water
TOMATO TART FILLING INGREDIENTS
1 head of garlic
3 tbs. (28 g) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 ounces (90 g) Fontina Cheese-shredded
1/8 cup (9 g) Parmesan Cheese
1-1/2 lbs. (700 g) Ripe, firm, medium sized, tomatoes-sliced ¼” thick
Coarse Salt to taste
Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
6 Fresh Basil Leaves
1. In the bowl of a food processor add flour and salt. Pulse to combine.
2. Add butter and pulse until combined but not over-mixed, you should still be able to see pieces of the butter-chunks, (to mix by hand combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl then cut in butter with a pastry cutter).
3. With the machine running, add ice water just until the dough holds together without being wet or sticky, not more than 30 seconds.
4. Test by squeezing a small amount of the dough together if it’s still too crumbly add a bit more water, one tbsp at a time.
5. Divide dough in half and place each half on a piece of plastic wrap. Flatten into disks, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight. The dough can be frozen up to a month; thaw overnight in a refrigerator.
TOMATO TART FILLING
1. Preheat oven 350°F.
2. Place garlic on aluminum foil or in a garlic baker. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil, if using aluminum foil, encase garlic and seal edges well, and place on a small baking sheet.
3. Roast in oven until golden brown (about 45-55 minutes) remove from oven & set aside.
4. Raise oven temperature to 425°F.
5. When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze cloves out of their skins into a small bowl. Mash with a fork and set aside.
6. On a lightly floured work surface roll out the dough to a 13” round about 1/8” thick. With a dry pastry brush remove excess flour. Fit the dough into a 10” fluted tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing into the edges. Using a rolling pin or a sharp paring knife trim dough flush with the top end of the tart pan; chill tart shell until firm about 30minutes.
7. Spread the roasted garlic evenly on the bottom of the chilled shell. Sprinkle with a ¼ cup of the shredded cheese. Shingle the tomato slices in a overlapping circular pattern on top of the cheese. Working from the outer edge toward the center. Season with salt & pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
8. Reduce oven temp to 400°F and place tart on baking sheet in center rack of oven.
9.Bake until crust is golden and tomatoes are soft but still retain their shape. Cook time is 45-55 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes. Sprinkle fresh basil or arugula on top and serve warm.